The Nurnberg brothers Friedrich and Heinrich Kapp, whose elegant Dublin tobacconist first opened for business in 1865 on Grafton Street, Dublin could scarcely have dreamt that they would participate in the birth of a legend.
Friedrich & Heinrich, who christened their shop simply 'Kapp Brothers', soon made a name for themselves making and selling quality Meerschaum and Briar Root pipes.
In the year 1875, Charles Peterson, a large young Latvian immigrant from Riga in his early twenties, walked into the Kapp Brothers Grafton Street premises with a revolutionary pipe and ambitious plans for the future. Declaring to the brothers that he could make better pipes than they could.
Armed with an imaginative flair for making pipes and a craftsman's background. There and then, Peterson suggested that the brothers go into partnership with him to turn his innovative pipe dream into the world's dream pipe. They agreed and Peterson not only proved himself correct, but became the third partner in the fledgling firm. The company was then renamed Kapp & Peterson. Thus the legend was born!